Monday, February 15, 2010

Discussion v.s. Q&A

Discussion pages:
After our class about use of eLC, I started thinking of how I can have a discussion page for my JPNS class as well as what kind of discussion would be going for such a basic language class. I then figured students do not really "discuss" things about Japanese language online because, in my opinion, language learning at this level would be more individual and personal. Students language development depends on their individual practice on their own time and effort. And social and interactive aspects of language learning should be discussed in class, at this level.
So I decided that, instead of using the discussion page feature of eLC, I would simply make a "Q&A" post in the class blog, once in a while. Whenever students have a questions in our ongoing materials they can post their questions by making a comment under the post. I often go see the blog myself and try to the answer. I like this way since the Q&A can still be in public.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that a Q & A would probably fit better for a language class. :)
    On the same lines,
    I was also thinking of how to incorporate this into my labs.... I have a long way to go.. before that reaches fruition though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think discussion is the basis of learning a language. Perhaps you could simply encourage students to write questions and responses in the language they are learning using the discussion board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be interested in the Voice Tools available in eLC that allow students to embed their voice in messages to you and/or the rest of the class. Seems perfect for language practice! To try it out, go to Build tab, then Add Content Link, then you will see a number of Voice Tools - I recommend the Voice Board for your needs.

    ReplyDelete