Monday, February 22, 2010

Class wiki

I am so impressed by the presented examples and ideas of wiki use in teaching and learning.

I am thinking of using wiki (maybe google site) for my JPNS class. Off the top of my head, I think I could make a page of vocabulary list and ask students to add any new words (along with example sentences) they come across when they learn Japanese outside of the class. This way, students and I can create our own original list of words we can all learn collaboratively. Students may be rewarded for adding many words to the list. I could even make it like a class competition: who gets the most words? This idea, as you may see, definitely comes from the example of biology class wiki presented in our class. =) I really liked it!

4 comments:

  1. I definitely think that wiki sites can provide a means for collaborative learning. I might not make it a competition so much as a place to practice using new works in context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your suggestion. I will have to decide if I make it competition or not. I'm leaning toward no right now.
    Maybe I will give them extra points for their cotribution rather than require their participation since I did not mention wiki creation in syllabus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also don't think that competition would work best. As long as you have incentive, I guess students will pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, giving an incentive works and the best part is that as the semester progresses, all the students can guage their interaction on the wiki too.

    ReplyDelete